According to Harvard Medical School (ie: Harvard Health Publishing), the typical American diet is heavy in nutrient-poor processed foods, refined grains, and added sugars—all linked to inflammation and chronic disease. Yet even if you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet, you may still fall short of needed nutrients. That's a consequence of aging. "As we get older, our ability to absorb nutrients from food decreases. Also, our energy needs aren't the same, and we tend to eat less," explains Dr. Howard Sesso, an epidemiologist at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital. 
Vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients derived from food sources are believed to be better absorbed and more bioavailable than nutrients from non-food sources. The fresh food you eat is loaded with nutrients necessary for good health, such as magnesium, calcium, and vitamins A and C. But many older adults aren't getting enough nutrients from their diets.†
The benefit of a whole food based multi, is that the processes involved in manufacturing these nutrients results in a wide variety of essential cofactors that may help enhance nutrient digestion, absorption and bioavailability. The process begins with an organic blend of nutritious ingredients (fruits, vegetables, sprouts and spices) which are hydrated and macerated to form a whole-food complex. The whole foods are then fermented to release natural enzymes and other metabolites. These fermentation products are then combined with carefully selected probiotics. In the next step, vitamins and minerals are added to the probiotic media. Probiotics then ferment the whole food metabolites for several hours. These probiotics having grown in a whole-food medium literally transform the nutrients into a whole-food complex that the body can easily digest and absorb. They are then naturally preserved using a lyophilization (freeze-drying) process to retain all the naturally occurring enzymes, metabolites and other nutrient dense bioactive. †
Multivitamin mineral formulas with food-based ingredients provide the added support of whole-food nutrients such as phytochemicals (aka: phytonutrients) which are not found in a typical multivitamin. Phytochemicals contain antioxidants and other important biomolecules that are difficult to acquire, even from a healthy intake of fruits and vegetables. Oftentimes our schedules and the stress of everyday life make it difficult to obtain all of the nutrients that can be found in a well-balanced diet. †
***Learn more about phytonutrients & inflammation under Dr. Kenawy’s products section here “InflamMove”. ***
Dr. Kenawy’s Life Essentials formula is a comprehensive food-based multivitamin, which contains all essential vitamins and minerals along with nutrient-dense food extracts, herbs, and other plant-based bioactive compounds which contain phytochemicals (our whole Food PhytoAlgae & Green proprietary blend). Our formula also contains as well as patented ingredients including: L-OptiZinc® & ChromeMate®. L-OptiZinc®is a unique mineral chelate that pairs zinc with the amino acid L-methionine. Research studies show that L-OptiZinc® is better absorbed than other forms of zinc and that plasma levels remain higher compared to other zinc forms. Zinc is an essential mineral involved in many cellular functions including muscle function, aging, skin and immune health. Whereas, ChromeMate® is a patented, niacin-bound form of the essential mineral chromium shown to efficiently support blood sugar and lipid metabolism.†
- A complete multi-vitamin and mineral, complemented with whole food extracts.
- Potent dosages of antioxidants such as vitamins A, C and E, selenium, and zinc.
- Patented L-OptiZinc® for greater absorption.
- Life Essentials contains a well-balanced B-vitamin profile.
- Life Essentials also contains ChromeMate® chromium, a superior form of the trace mineral.
- Contains superfood concentrates including spirulina, barley, chlorella, wheatgrass, and wheat sprout juice providing chlorophyll and a variety of carotenoids (ie: phytonutrients/phytochemicals).
- Other powerful ingredients in this formula are bee pollen, siberian ginseng, garlic, oat bran, and apple pectin.
- Contains a variety of enzymes.
- Vegetarian tablet.
- L-OptiZinc® is better absorbed and more bioavailable than other forms of zinc.† It also does not interfere with copper absorption and is not affected by dietary fiber as are other forms of zinc.†
- ChromeMate® brand chromium plays an important role in supporting healthy blood sugar levels, insulin function, and normal, healthy cholesterol levels.†
- Digestive enzymes help support the healthy digestion of carbohydrates, fats, and protein.†
- Superfood concentrates contain phytochemicals which provide antioxidant and immune support as well as support for normal, healthy cell growth.†
- Botanical extracts such as bee pollen, eleutherococcus, wheatgrass, chlorella, and spirulina contain nutrients and cofactors that help support energy production.†
- Provides chelated minerals that have been shown in studies to be better absorbed and utilized by the body. These minerals are essential for bone health, energy production, antioxidant and immune support, as well as overall metabolism.†
†These statements have not been evaluated by The Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your General Practitioner. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.
 Should you get your nutrients from food or from supplements? (2015, May). Harvard Health Publishing . https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-you-get-your-nutrients-from-food-or-from-supplements