There are over 25 different species of oregano, but wild type oregano (botanical name: Origanum vulgare), unlike the spice found in the local grocery store and most others, contains active ingredients that provide health benefits.
The oil contains important compounds called phenols, terpenes and terpenoids, which have powerful antioxidant properties (higher than most fruits and vegetables) and are responsible for its fragrance:
- Carvacrol: The most abundant phenol in oregano oil. It has been shown to stop the growth of several different types of bacteria
- Thymol: A natural antifungal that can also support the immune system and protect against toxins
- Rosmarinic acid: A powerful antioxidant that helps protect against damage caused by free radicals 
These compounds are thought to underlie oregano's many health benefits.
Some potential benefits and uses of oregano oil (include but not limited to) †:
- “Natural Antibiotic” Fighting and Preventing Infections (In recent years, it’s become increasingly apparent that oregano features powerful antibacterial potential. Indeed, a study performed by the USDA found that this herbal oil displays such potent effects that it can ward off germs like E. coli and Salmonella with ease. Researchers from the Georgetown University Medical Center’s Department of Physiology and Biophysics validated the findings, stating that oregano oil could represent a newer, safer agent for preventing and treating infections caused by harmful pathogens)  †
- May Help Lower Cholesterol †
- Anti-Aging (loaded with powerful antioxidants that control oxidation and free radical formation, which can help slow the aging process)  †
- Could Help Treat Yeast Infections †
- May Improve Gut Health (acts as a digestive stimulant, which promotes the production and secretion of bile. Sufficient bile is required to thoroughly break down food and allow the maximum amount of nutrients to be extracted from it. It can also help fight and prevent small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in people who are susceptible to it)  †
- May Have Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- Could Help Relieve Pain (Oregano oil’s ability to deeply penetrate tissues means that its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties make it into the joints. This can go a long way toward improving range of motion, soothing arthritis pain and supporting overall joint health)  †
- Improved Allergies (One of oregano oil’s benefits in this area is that it acts as an antihistamine, which prevents itching, sneezing and runny noses.)
- Supports General Respiratory Health (expectorant properties that aid in the expulsion of mucus from the sinuses and lungs. This is an effective remedy if you experience congestion or difficulty breathing)  †
- May Help You Lose Weight (carvacrol, a chemical that is believed to favorably alter DNA and minimize inflammation in human fat tissue)   †
- May Ease Menopausal & PMS Symptoms (Oregano is a rich source of compounds called phytoestrogens that behave like human estrogen in the body. Because many of the unpleasant symptoms associated with menopause are caused by low estrogen, taking oregano oil can help restore some level of balance, thereby easing symptoms. These phytoestrogens can also help regulate irregular or overly heavy periods)  †
The highest quality and most clinically effective wild type oregano is grown in parts of the Mediterranean. To be able to extract the most delicate and efficacious components of this plant, a gentle steam distillation process must be used. The most important active ingredient it contains is carvacrol, and the highest quality and most potent oregano oil contains a minimum of 60-70% carvacrol.
As with all of Dr. Kenawy's professional line products, we use the best manufactures in making our formulas. Dr. Kenawy’s oregano oil exceeds all the criteria for supplement grade oregano oil. This is our liquid version containing Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) Leaf Oil 40mg (standardized to 70% [28mg] carvacrol). The features below further describe our product. †
- We use only wildcrafted oregano oil from wild Mediterranean oregano plants.
- Our wildcrafted oregano oil is derived from plants grown organically without the use of any toxic pesticides and/or herbicides.
- The plants are grown in their native environment which maximizes their ability to concentrate the natural, bioactive ingredients.
- The oil is extracted from the plant without the use of harsh chemicals, through a steam distillation process. The oregano oil is then put into a softgel with non-genetically modified soy lecithin and extra virgin olive oil as a base.
- Our oregano oil is standardized to 70% carvacrol (its most bioactive component) and also contains a full-spectrum of other naturally-occurring compounds found in oregano.
- Carvacrol and other naturally-occurring oregano compounds have the ability to provide significant support to the immune system.†
- Carvacrol also helps promote a healthy inflammatory response and provides antioxidant support to healthy cells.†
- Oregano oil helps support a normal, healthy immune response to environmental allergens.†
†These statements have not been evaluated by The Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your General Practitioner. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.
 Rowles, R. A. D. (2017, June 16). 9 Benefits and Uses of Oregano Oil. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-oregano-oil-benefits-and-uses#section12
 Oregano Oil with Standardized Carvacrol. (2020, March 21). GoldSourceLabs.Com. https://goldsourcelabs.com/oregano-oil-with-standardized-carvacrol/