Vitamin C (also known as ascorbic acid and ascorbate) is a water-soluble vitamin; meaning that it dissolves in water and is delivered to the body’s tissues but is not well stored, therefore it must be taken daily through food or supplements. Vitamin C is one of the most effective and safest nutrients. Fruits and vegetables are the best sources of this vitamin. Some include the following: Citrus fruits, (oranges, kiwi, lemon, grapefruit), Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower), potatoes and...
Vitamin C has many important functions in the body including:
- powerful antioxidant that can neutralize harmful free radicals
- maintaining the elasticity of skin by supporting normal, healthy collagen (collagen is a fibrous protein in connective tissue that is weaved throughout various systems in the body: nervous, immune, bone, cartilage, blood vessels, and others.)
- controlling infections and healing wounds
- synthesis of hormones and neurotransmitters (chemical messengers used in brain & nerves) such as serotonin
- support of normal, healthy immune function and aids in lowering hypertension, curing cataracts, combating stroke, and controlling the symptoms of asthma
- prevention and treatment of scurvy, common cold, and lead toxicity
- improves the absorption of non-heme iron, the type of iron found in plant foods
- L-carnitine (required for fat metabolism) production
Please take caution that vitamin C can be destroyed by heat and light. High-heat cooking temperatures or prolonged cook times can break down the vitamin. Because it is water-soluble, the vitamin can also seep into cooking liquid and be lost if the liquids are not eaten. Keep in mind that quick heating methods or using as little water as possible when cooking, such as stir-frying or blanching, can preserve the vitamin. Foods at peak ripeness eaten raw contain the most vitamin C. 
Vitamin C deficiency is rare in developed countries but may occur with a limited diet that provides less than 10 mg daily for one month or longer. In developed countries, situations at greatest risk for deficiency include :
- eating a diet restricted in fruits and vegetables,
- smoking or long-term exposure to secondhand smoke,
- drug and alcohol abuse.
[image source: 2]
The following are the most common signs of a deficiency :
- Scurvy, the hallmark disease of severe vitamin C deficiency, displays symptoms resulting from loss of collagen that weakens connective tissues:
- Skin spots caused by bleeding and bruising from broken blood vessels
- Swelling or bleeding of gums, and eventual loss of teeth
- Hair loss
- Delayed healing of skin wounds
- Fatigue, malaise
- Iron-deficiency anemia due to decreased absorption of non-heme iron
As with all of Dr. Kenawy's professional line products, we use the best manufactures in making our formulas. Dr. Kenawy’s Vitamin C formula using patented PureWay-C® is a new, unique form of Vitamin C (ascorbic acid with lipid metabolites) which enhances the absorption, bioavailability and retention of Vitamin C in blood plasma, cells and tissues. Studies demonstrate that PureWay-C® is more rapidly absorbed and leads to higher Vitamin C levels than other forms of Vitamin C, including: ascorbic acid and popular brands of calcium ascorbate. The appropriate amount of calcium is also added to buffer the formula and make the product non-acidic. Citrus Bioflavonoid Complex enhances Vitamin C’s benefits. Furthermore, PureWay-C® is a scientifically advanced form of vitamin C that binds ascorbic acid to lipid metabolites such as fatty acids, esters, and fatty alcohols to enhance digestion, absorption, cellular uptake and retention as well as utilization of essential vitamin C in the body. The increased cellular uptake and retention of vitamin C results in enhanced vitamin C functions.†
- Contains vitamin C bound to lipid metabolites.
- This form is able to enhance the absorption and utilization of vitamin C.†
- Added calcium to create a non-acidic, “GI friendly” delivery system.
- Synergistic benefits of citrus bioflavonoid complex.
- PureWay-C® allows vitamin C to more efficiently pass through the cell membrane, be retained and utilized by individual cells for all vitamin C related functions.†
- Numerous studies show the benefits of Pureway-C® over other forms of vitamin C, including calcium ascorbate and ascorbic acid in regards to:
- 2-hour cellular uptake higher with Pureway-C®.†
- cellular uptake and retention over a 24 hr time period higher with Pureway-C®.†
- Due to better absorption and retention, studies demonstrate vitamin C functions are enhanced including:
- support of wound healing activities†
- immune system support†
- promoting healthy levels of c-reactive protein (a marker of inflammation) and oxidized LDL (a risk factor for heart disease)†
- antioxidant activity†
- Comparative studies using PureWay-C® show significantly greater antioxidant activity over other forms of vitamin C.
- Citrus bioflavonoids help enhance the biological benefits of vitamin C.†
- Also available in 500mg vegetarian capsules ***Click here***
- Vitamin C is essential for the synthesis and stability of collagen, the underlying structure of bone, skin, ligaments, tendons, blood vessels and other body tissue.
- Vitamin C is an essential cofactor for the manufacturing of neurotransmitters such as serotonin and epinephrine, essential for the normal, healthy functioning of the nervous system.†
- The transport of fatty acids into the mitochondria of the cell where they are used to make energy (ATP) requires L-carnitine which cannot be manufactured without vitamin C.
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant helping to neutralize peroxyl and hydroxyl free radicals as well as regenerating the antioxidants vitamin E and glutathione back to their reduced forms (form in which they serve as antioxidants).†
- Vitamin C helps to limit the production of nitrosamines from nitrites found in foods such as hot dogs, bacon and cold cuts. Nitrosamines have been shown to be potentially harmful to the body.†
- Vitamin C is essential for a healthy immune system. Histamine is secreted by the body in response to allergens and infections. Vitamin C has been shown to help support normal, healthy levels of histamine. In addition, vitamin C supports healthy levels of interferon and normal, healthy white blood cell activity; both critical to healthy immune function.
†These statements have not been evaluated by The Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your General Practitioner. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.
 Vitamin C. (2020, March 2). The Nutrition Source. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamin-c/
 Vitamin C Deficiency. www.drkunalmahajan.com