The liver is a complex organ with a variety of functions. It plays a major role in the detoxification of endotoxins (metabolically produced) and xenobiotics (environmental). Detoxification is a process that involves several different organs and occurs primarily in the liver. The liver achieves this through two distinct phases whereby it prepares the toxins for excretion. Some toxins are excreted through the bile, and others through the kidneys. In phase 1, toxins are transformed into intermediate compounds which are then neutralized by phase 2 enzymes making them easier for the body to excrete. †
Herbs have been used for thousands of years across cultures to treat various ailments and health conditions. With their long history, popularity and reported effectiveness, it’s no wonder many people turn to herbs to aid their body’s innate ability to detoxify. Your body needs continuous nutritional support for ongoing detox, so eating a healthy, balanced diet full of whole, unprocessed foods is a vital step in lightening your toxic load. As a complement to a wholesome diet and regular exercise, you might consider incorporating some of these herbs in Dr. Kenawy’s supplement, known for their detoxifying properties. †
Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) is an herb with a dense-prickly flower head and reddish-purple tubular flowers. It is native to the Mediterranean region and has been naturalized in Central Europe, North and South America, and Southern Australia. It has an extensive history of use as an edible plant. In the 1st century AD, Pliny the Elder reported its use for supporting liver health. Theophrastus (IV century BC) and Dioscorides (1st century AD) also wrote of its value. The English herbalist, Nicholas Culpeper (1650) claimed it was effective for supporting the normal functioning of the liver. At the turn of the 20th century, Eclectic physicians also used Milk Thistle to support healthy liver function. Much of the modern day research has been conducted in Germany where it is an approved herb in The German Commission E Monographs.  †
The liver is the body’s main organ of detoxification. In a two-phase process, the liver is able to detoxify toxic substances, making them more water-soluble and therefore easier to excrete. Milk thistle helps protect the liver from potential damage caused by toxic substances.† By acting at the cell membrane of hepatocytes (liver cells), milk thistle helps prevent toxins from entering the cell and causing damage to healthy liver cells.† The active ingredient silymarin is effective at protecting the liver from acute and chronic exposure to toxins.† It also helps support the liver’s antioxidant defenses, as this organ is consistently exposed to a variety of damaging free radicals.†
Turmeric is an herbaceous plant in the ginger family that has been widely used in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine to treat digestion and liver disorders. Curcumin is the powerful phytochemical component that gives turmeric its distinctive bright yellow color and stimulates production of bile by the gallbladder. Bile eliminates toxins in the liver and rejuvenates cells that break down harmful compounds.
***Learn more about Turmeric under Dr. Kenawy’s products section here “Turmeric Extract”. ***
Picrorhiza kurroa (aka: Kutki or Katuki or Picroliv) is an herbaceous plant that grows in the Himalayan mountains. Long known to ancient medicines, a now endangered powerful herb, was first mentioned in the two most important Ayurvedic medicinal compendiums: the Carakasamhita of internal medicine and the Surustasamhita of the school of surgery, both written between 1500-1000 BCE (Smith, 2000). Historic uses of Picrorhiza (specifically the rhizome) include liver and lung support, fever reduction, dyspepsia, chronic diarrhea, and even scorpion stings. In traditional Chinese medicine, Picrorhiza, or hu huang lian, has been used to treat everything from hyperemia and dysentery to jaundice, hemorrhoids, epilepsy and carbuncles. Due to its usefulness throughout human history, Picrorhiza was nearly exterminated due to over-harvesting.  †
The most important active constituents of P. kurroa are the iridoid glycoside, picroside I, II, III, and kutkoside, collectively known as “kutkin”.  The mechanism of action of kutkins appears to be the same as that of silymarin (active constituent and hepatoprotective constituent of Silybum marianum). However, Studies have shown that kutkins are more potent than silymarin as far as hepatoprotective activity is concerned. †
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), Picrorhiza rhizome is useful in treating bronchial asthma and viral hepatitis, as well as for immune disorders and skin diseases. 
Again most importantly, your body needs continuous nutritional support for ongoing detox, so eating a healthy, balanced diet full of whole, unprocessed foods is a vital step in lightening your toxic load. As a complement to a wholesome diet and regular exercise, you might consider incorporating Dr. Kenawy’s supplement, with herbs known for their detoxifying properties. †
Dr. Kenawy’s liver support & Detox formula is composed of a comprehensive formulation of ingredients working synergistically. Some of the ingredients include standardized [herb] extracts including milk thistle, turmeric, [patented form of] picrorhiza (ie: Picroliv®) as well as patented form of selenium (ie: SelenoExcell®). Picrorhiza kurroa extract as Picroliv® from Sabinsa has been shown in studies to support healthy liver function. SelenoExcell® is the most researched form of selenium. It is 100% organically bound to provide high biological activity. This "high selenium yeast supplement" is a potent form of selenium, providing unsurpassed cellular antioxidant support. Specifically, helps support glutathione peroxidase (powerful antioxidant enzyme) activity. †
- Comprehensive liver support formula, containing a synergistic combination of B-vitamins, minerals, botanicals, and other nutraceuticals.
- Contains milk thistle and other standardized extracts such as turmeric, artichoke, and picrorhiza.
- Picroliv® standardized for 4% kutkin
- Contains SelenoExcell® and NAC for glutathione peroxidase and glutathione production, respectively. SelenoExcell® is the most researched form of selenium.
- Provides methyl donors folic acid, B12, and choline.
- Contains the antioxidants alpha-lipoic acid and vitamin C.
- Milk Thistle extract has been documented in many scientific studies to provide support to the liver. It helps protect liver cells from toxins, and helps support liver detoxification processes.†
- Numerous scientific studies have explored Milk Thistle and a group of its constituents called silymarins. Many of these clinical studies have demonstrated that this herb supports healthy liver function and provides powerful antioxidant protection. A primary constituent of silymarin called silibinin also helps to support healthy liver function, encouraging healthy cholesterol synthesis by the liver. In addition to its well-recognized role in promoting liver health, key constituents in Milk Thistle also help to maintain normal kidney function and promote optimal immune function.  †
- Contains vitamin B6 which is integral to amino acid and glucose metabolism in the liver.†
- Folic acid, B12, and choline are methyl donors. All of these nutrients help contribute methyl groups to support liver detoxification.† This process makes toxins easier to excrete.†
- NAC serves as a precursor for the synthesis of glutathione in the liver. Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant, which, along with vitamin C and other nutrients, helps provide antioxidant support to the liver.† Glutathione also helps support liver detoxification processes.†
- Choline helps support fat metabolism in the liver, which helps support healthy liver function.†
- Selenium as SelenoExcell® helps support glutathione peroxidase (powerful antioxidant enzyme) activity.†
- The active curcuminoids in turmeric have been shown to be powerful antioxidants, and also help support normal, healthy liver detoxification.†
- Picroliv is an extract from the plant Picrorhiza kurroa (fem. Scrophulariaceae) and is standardized for 4% of glycoside kutkin.
- Alpha-lipoic acid is a potent antioxidant and studies show it to be a powerful protector of normal, healthy liver function.†
- Artichoke and boldo extract help support the production and excretion of bile, which is one way the body excretes toxins.†
- Burdock root, dandelion, and yellow dock have traditionally been used as “cleansing” herbs which help to support liver, gall bladder, and kidney elimination processes.†
†These statements have not been evaluated by The Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your General Practitioner. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.
 PhD, M. P. (2017). Liver Pathophysiology: Therapies and Antioxidants (1st ed.). Academic Press. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-804274-8.00044-8
 World Health Organization. (2009). WHO Monographs on Selected Medicinal Plants : Vol. Volume 4. http://digicollection.org/hss/documents/s16713e/s16713e.pdf
 Picrorhiza: Saving an Endangered Treasure | Ayush Herbs | Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine. (2019). Ayush Herbs®. https://www.ayush.com/benefits-of-picrorhiza-kurroa
 Sprinkel, A. (2019, April 21). Milk Thistle. Gaia Herbs. https://www.gaiaherbs.com/blogs/herbs/milk-thistle