According to the most recent U.S. Dietary Guidelines, there are seven important nutrients in food that most Americans aren't getting in sufficient amounts. Amongst those include the essential mineral magnesium. Magnesium is an essential mineral that is a required cofactor for well over 300 chemical reactions in the body. In all, magnesium takes part in more chemical reactions than any other nutrient. 
Unfortunately, the typical U.S. diet is lacking in the essential mineral magnesium. Most people do not consume even the minimum recommended daily value of this important nutrient. For some individuals, higher amounts of magnesium are required due to increased activity levels/energy requirements, presence of chronic disease, etc.
Research published in Nutrition Reviews found magnesium deficiencies to be present in approximately 50% of people in the United States. Older adults are more vulnerable to magnesium deficiency. Women are also at higher risk for low magnesium, especially with age.†
Magnesium deficiency [Hypomagnesemia] can cause other mineral deficiencies [such as hypokalemia (low potassium) and hypocalcemia (low calcium)], as all minerals work together at keeping the body healthy.†
†Symptoms of magnesium deficiency may include:
- Loss of appetite
- Tingling and muscle cramps and contractions
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Damage to nerve cells, which can lead to depression
- Insomnia (a common symptom of magnesium deficiency).
Magnesium helps calm your brain and allow you to sleep better because it plays a key role in regulating the body's stress-response system, and hormones that elevate or diminish stress.†
Magnesium plays a role in supporting deep, restorative sleep by maintaining healthy levels of GABA, a neurotransmitter that promotes sleep. Maintaining healthy magnesium levels often leads to deeper, more sound sleep.†
Now, when it comes to bone health, magnesium plays a critical role in bone formation, and in maintaining bone density. It helps the body effectively use calcium, vitamin D, etc to build strong bones. Higher magnesium intake is linked to greater bone density.†
Magnesium plays a major role in heart health because it regulates muscle function. Considering your heart beats nonstop, until your time on this world is up, magnesium helps the heart maintain a healthy rhythm. It also helps regulate blood pressure and the production of cholesterol. High dietary magnesium intake is linked to significantly reduced mortality in people who are at high risk for cardiovascular disease.†
Finally, magnesium plays a role in regulating blood sugar, and in metabolizing glucose. Low magnesium levels in the body are linked to insulin resistance. Among people with type 2 diabetes, 25-38% are also deficient in magnesium, according to research.†
Magnesium is found in large amounts in natural, unprocessed foods. The best sources of magnesium include foods that contain dietary fiber, such as (but not limited it):
- dark green, leafy vegetables
- nuts and seeds
- beans and lentils
- whole, unrefined grains
- Fish (especially halibut)
Getting quality food full of quality essential vitamins and minerals may be quite a challenge, as there have been recalls on food, or buying poor quality produce (eg: farmed from overworked soil that’s been depleted of nutrients). †
***To learn more about Magnesium and Magnesium Glycinate supplementation, click here.***
Dr. Kenawy’s product contains Magnesium as amino acid chelate as Chelazome® Magnesium. Our Magnesium Gold Standard Chelates is from Albion Labs contain 400 mg of magnesium lysyl glycinate for better absorption and utilization. Albion Labs manufactures premium chelated minerals and have been the subject of numerous research studies. It may be used for: Muscle weakness and twitching, Sleep, Depression and Stress, Dizziness, Premenstrual syndrome & help maintain a normal, healthy blood pressure. †
- Magnesium as amino acid chelate as Chelazome® Magnesium (ie: Albion labs magnesium lysyl glycinate which bonds magnesium to the amino acids lysine and glycine)
- These High Absorption Magnesium tablets contain highly absorbable elemental magnesium in the form of Albion’s Chelazome Amino Acid Chelate.
- ALBION is the world leader and innovator in mineral amino acid chelate nutrition
- 400 mg elemental magnesium per serving.
- Superior absorption and bioavailability.
- Contains no sugar, salt, dairy, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors
- Magnesium helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function.†
- Provides a superior source of magnesium, a major mineral which serves as a cofactor for well over 300 biochemical reactions.†
- Magnesium is required for nutrient metabolism and energy production, muscle function and works synergistically with calcium, where calcium is responsible for muscle contraction and magnesium, muscle relaxation.†
- Magnesium is also essential for maintaining a normal, healthy blood pressure, and is required for the synthesis of DNA and RNA, cell membrane function and the activity of hormones, neurotransmitters and other cellular regulators.†
- When minerals are bound to amino acid chelates, they are carried along through the stomach and small intestine wall, where vitamins and minerals are absorbed through the bloodstream.†
†These statements have not been evaluated by The Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your General Practitioner. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.
 Griffin, M. R. (2007, August 27). Missing Nutrients in Your Food. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/missing-nutrients-in-your-food#1