Sambucus is a genus of flowering plants in the family Adoxaceae. The various species are commonly called elder or elderberry. The genus was formerly placed in the honeysuckle family, Caprifoliaceae, but was reclassified as Adoxaceae due to genetic and morphological comparisons to plants in the genus Adoxa.
Elderberry is one of the most commonly used medicinal plants in the world. Traditionally, Native Americans used it to treat infections, while the ancient Egyptians used it to improve their complexions and heal burns. It’s still gathered and used in folk medicine across many parts of Europe.
Elderberry contains several compounds that help support healthy immune function. These active compounds help defend against viruses by affecting their ability to infect the body’s cells. Certain proteins at the surface of viruses have the ability to break down the body’s cell membranes and infect the cell. By neutralizing these proteins, the active compounds in elderberries help to protect the cells from infection.
Elderberries are rich in anthocyanins that combine to give elderberry juice an intense blue-purple coloration that turns reddish on dilution with water. The anthocyanins have well documented antioxidant properties. In addition, the anthocyanins in the elderberry help to support cytokine production. Cytokines are essential for regulating immune function.†
Dr. Kenawy’s Elderberry syrup extract formula uses organic elderberries that are a rich source of anthocyanins and have been studied for their immune enhancing effects. Anthocyanins benefit the immune system by supporting cytokine production. Cytokines are messenger proteins that benefit the immune response.†
- Provides 6,400 mg of certified organic elderberry fruit extract per serving.
- Elderberry extract has been shown to support immune function, particularly against the cold and flu virus.
- Contains no sugar, artificial colors or flavors.
- Has twice the potency of the leading brand.
- Contains 100% certified organic elderberry fruit.
- No glucose, fructose or other sweeteners.
- Alcohol free.
- No potassium sorbate.
- Black elderberry helps to support immune function by neutralizing hemagglutinin spikes on the surface of virus particles. By neutralizing these spikes, the virus loses the ability to puncture the cell membrane and infect the cell.†
- Elderberry contains anthocyanins, a class of phytochemicals that support immune function by boosting the production of cytokines (proteins that regulate immune response), including tumor necrosis factor and interleukins.†
- Stress plays a significant role in reducing immune function. Elderberry extract helps to reduce overall stress levels, and also significantly shortens recovery time from physical exertion. By reducing stress and its related effects, elderberry extract helps maintain a strong immune system.†
†These statements have not been evaluated by The Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your General Practitioner. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician.